– Political heavyweights led by former president Olusegun Obasanjo, have allegedly stopped President Buhari from naming those who looted the country’s money.
– The president a few weeks ago said he will name those who have return their loots and the amount returned.
About two weeks ago President Muhammadu Buhari said he was going to reveal the names of people who had voluntarily returned looted public funds on Democracy day. The president in an interview in London after attending a four-day international summit on anti-corruption hosted by the British government, also said he would mention the total amount recovered so far by his government. However, May 29 went by, but Nigerians were not told the identity of those who looted the nations funds.
Though the government said it was constrained by legal exigencies, there was also political exigencies involved that put a stop to the planned naming and shaming of the looters, Ripples Nigeria reports. It was gathered that some political heavyweights waded in to analyse the collateral risks of such venture to the president. The political heavyweights led by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, explained to Buhari that naming looters might set the nation on fire. A source in the presidency said: “You know these looters have hangers-on and beneficiaries that are willing to die for them. “The truth is that corruption is the biggest industry in this country. Now, if you name the looters, you are fighting an entrenched cabal and this government can do without such battle for now.” He also noted that the mood of the nation is not disposed to naming looters, with many Nigerians complaining of cash crunch. It was also alleged that Obasanjo told the president that if he name looters, Nigerians will go after them and that the government cannot handle the mob action.
Anti-corruption agencies have also advised against the move, stating that the figures of recovered loots should be published. Meanwhile, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has commenced contempt proceedings against the federal government, Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN), Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, and Alhaji Ahmed Idris, Accountant-General of the Federation for failing to comply with the judgment to publish the amount of recovered stolen funds spent.