The star visited a Walgreens chemist, and it’s since been reported it was the fourth time he’d been seen there in one week.
The singer was pictured wearing all black, in flared trousers and a hat as he quickly nipped into the pharmacy near his home in Minnesota.
Sources at the chemist have told TMZ that Prince appeared to be much more “frail and nervous” than usual.
Police were called after his lifeless body was found at his Paisley Park mansion and recording studios in Minnesota at 9.43am yesterday.
TMZ has reported that the star was treated for a drug overdose six days before his death.
Medics desperately tried CPR but were unable to revive the music icon who was pronounced dead at 10.07am.
Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson said: “When deputies and medical personnel arrived, they found an unresponsive adult male in the elevator.
“First responders attempted to provide lifesaving CPR, but were unable to revive the victim.”
A harrowing 911 has been released where an operator can be heard saying that there is a “male down, not breathing” at the singer’s address.
The local sheriff was called into work on his day off, Radar Online reports.
A police officer later tweeted: “Prince Rogers Nelson (57) found dead at Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, MN. We are investigating the circumstances of his death.”
It was later confirmed the pop icon died this morning at his Paisley Park mansion in Minnesota.
Detectives are investigating the circumstances behind the sudden death that has devastated millions of fans across the globe.
Dozens of devastated fans gathered outside of his home to pay tribute to the music icon. Celebrities and fans have flooded social media with tributes, with Katy Perry tweeting: “And just like that…the world lost a lot of magic. Rest in peace Prince! Thanks for giving us so much…”
The news comes days after the singer was released from hospital after a bout of flu.
After his sold-out performance in Atlanta on Thursday, April 14 his private jet made an emergency landing at Quad City International Airport in Illinois.From there the Purple Rain star was taken to hospital.
According to TMZ, he was released three hours later, returned to his plane and was taken home. Just days later he held a party for fans at Paisley Park. News broke that a body had been found at the star’s home but officials were unable to confirm that it was Prince who had died as his next of kin had not yet been informed.
Later the global icon’s publicist confirmed the tragic news. A reporter from local TV station KSTP, Farrah Fazal, tweeted: “BREAKING: Deputies say they are now doing “death investigation” at Prince’s PaisleyPark recording studios near Minneapolis. @ KSTP.”
The man who was born Prince Rogers Nelson stood just 5ft 2in and seemed to summon the most original and compelling sounds at will, whether playing guitar in a flamboyant style that openly drew upon Jimi Hendrix, switching his vocals from a nasally scream to an erotic falsetto or turning out album after album of stunningly original material.
He was also fiercely protective of his independence, battling his record company over control of his material and even his name.
Prince once wrote “slave” on his face in protest at not owning his work and famously battled and then departed his label, Warner Bros, before returning a few years ago.
In 2004, Prince was inducted into the Rock and Roll of Fame, which hailed him as a musical and social trailblazer.
“He rewrote the rulebook, forging a synthesis of black funk and white rock that served as a blueprint for cutting-edge music in the Eighties,” reads the Hall’s dedication.
“Prince made dance music that rocked and rock music that had a bristling, funky backbone. From the beginning, Prince and his music were androgynous, sly, sexy and provocative.”